Crucible 120x600 1 png

EWA 120x600 1

Users Online

None
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

OP WTL III AAR 2017
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
If you want to post an AAR for a particular game post it here.

TOPIC: OP WTL III AAR 2017

Re: OP WTL III AAR 2017 2 years, 3 months ago #7

• Nobli
  • Private
Napster wrote:

I am glad you had a fun day. As a medic, what do you think about the number of medics available and the number of bandages you received? One of the things we are considering is raising the number of bandages per medic, or the number of medics on each faction.

For me it wasn't the quantity of bandages that were the problem. I used mine almost instantly. Its the ability to restock that is difficult, I had to go directly to full revived players to restock bandages. I would recommend some sort of FULL field revive system where a medic can "hold" a player for a longer period of time as opposed to a quick bandage revive and that player is effectively full revived and the medic can recollect the bandage. This would be difficult as it could be easily abused, some way such as a very long hold time of 0:30 second to a 1:00 minute hold per player to full revive and recollect their bandage. Another simpler, more balanced method might be that players, upon full reviving back at camp leave their bandages there. This way medics (like myself) in this scenario can full stock bandages when we go back to camp. This would be a good way to mitigate how I had to go out of my way to find players who had full revived but forgot they still had bandages on and ask for the bandages to restock my supply.
The topic has been locked.

Re: OP WTL III AAR 2017 2 years, 3 months ago #8

• Napster
  • PRISM C.O. / Webmaster / Admin
  • Have Fun! It's mandatory.
I like that idea. This is something that could have been established by individual teams, to leave bandages at the base. I did not implement something like this intentionally as I wanted each squad to have the same number of bandages available after restock, and wanted to avoid situations where one squad ended up with most of the bandages and another had none or very few because the other squad grabbed them all. Knowing the mechanics, it's something that is best determined at the squad level for each squad in reminding the wounded to return bandages to the medic. If I was a medic, I would have asked my squad leader to bring all the previously wounded to me to get me my bandages back every time we went near the base =).

It is not something I personally briefed squad leaders on, but I briefed the CO's and expected each one to determine their own policy. What I briefed the COs was the medic rule in its entirety, that I wanted the whole squad to respawn when the medic ran out of bandages or the medic died, and that bandages were to be given back to the medics as new supplies anytime they went by their base. Additionally, I asked COs to constantly ask their squad leaders to have their guys hydrate, after every objective, and every time they went by the base.

But you think one medic per squad with 10 bandages was a good number in terms of recovering from single engagements?
Sabin
US Navy Veteran

EWA | Webmaster / Admin
Team PRISM | C.O.
-Everyone's favorite computer nerd-
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Napster.

Re: OP WTL III AAR 2017 2 years, 3 months ago #9

• Nobli
  • Private
Yea, one time I just revived with my fire-team after our squad returned from the drug house event. I walked down the road and saw a full squad dead. I yanked some out of firing line against DEA and used all 10 bandages within a few minutes.

I think I would have enjoyed some sort of "Full-Revive" bandage collection system over having more bandages. Again this has the chance to be abused but is the most squad by squad or fireteam by fireteam control of bandage usage and I like it as a medic interaction feature that would give us more to do.

Re: OP WTL III AAR 2017 2 years, 3 months ago #10

• Napster
Oh, there is something an interesting CIA story I am going to share here for your entertainment.

We've established that cocaine was the currency of the land for this OP, and that occasionally the CIA may introduce additional nerf rockets or their alliance as rewards for certain tasks.

In our first encounter with the Halcon Cartel, I was offered some very realistic looking $100 dollar bills (the style between '96 and 2013) if I had some cocaine for sale. A few minutes later when I made contact with their leader, I was offered, I kid you not, a pouch of gold coins. I did not realize it was Dale until he spoke, as he was very well disguised =), so I asked Dale if I could speak with his leader, Dale. My instinct was to ask if the gold coins had chocolate in them. To my disappointment, they were solid plastic. No deal, I cannot accept this currency, nor the $100 bills, as we did not pre-establish an exchange rate or policy for distribution and acquiring said currencies.
Sabin
US Navy Veteran

EWA | Webmaster / Admin
Team PRISM | C.O.

Re: OP WTL III AAR 2017 2 years, 3 months ago #11

• toobladink
  • Spokane Scrubsofters C.O.
  • Enjoy the journey - SG34
The easiest way to get a more milsim feel is to get a more serious crowd.

Personally, I would like to have a more basic milsim game (in terms of not having to worry about smuggling cocaine and just two factions).

Here's how I would do it:
Pre-registration ONLY.
Limit the spots to create balanced teams. I feel they sell out before the event, you can add more spots, OR if it's close to game day, leave it. Those who are lazy about it or just don't want to pay online don't really deserve to go. At least have a friend do it for you. And I would only add enough spots for another squad on each team, if the event sells out 2-3 weeks before the deadline.
Midcaps only.

Players who follow these guidelines are much more serious and will have a more serious mindset. It might even solve some other problems like the talking during briefing or something.

But for now, we have to lean into that stuff. Allowing walk ons, encouraging the use of midcaps, trying to limit what we can, etc.
ASTQA certified tech

Re: OP WTL III AAR 2017 2 years, 3 months ago #12

• Napster
Hunter,

objectives and command structure are what create milsim games, and "not having to worry" about objectives is counterproductive in creating a milsim experience. We want leadership on each team to "worry" about many things at once, and task their squad leaders appropriately in accomplishing those objectives. Also, the teams are intentionally not balanced, as this is not team deathmatch. The balance comes out of the objectives themselves, I.E. Los Burros Cartel had a significantly larger pool of players, but needed to always have a squad defending its CO and one running cocaine to the other side of the field. Walk The Line series will always have the four factions it has now as it was structured that way from the beginning. The CIA has a long list of available objectives, and they are quite flexible, I.E. while one team may be tasked with neutralizing one of the CIA members, another may be tasked with recovering him at the same time (actual example from WTL III). You are not wrong about a serious crowd, we certainly could have an age limit, I.E. 18 and over only at the more milsim events, but this contradicts our core mission in creating a safe, fun environment for everyone. We (EWA), are the organization that's growing the sport and bringing in the new players in our area. As such, we have to be accommodating to the younger player base and the less experienced as well, so we do what we can in creating a structured milsim experience in these operations without barring new or younger players from participating.

Some of the other facets of Milsim:

I proposed another milsim event a while back which had very strict uniform requirements, and we were not sure if EWA was able to do something like that. After three iterations of Walk The Line, I can say that we've set a precedent where allowing enough uniforms for each team, we can have a game with 100 players that will all be in distinct uniforms for their teams and easily identifiable as friendly or not, without the need to use colored armtapes or anything like that. I will go over this other event when we are ready to announce it, but it may not be until next year, as the schedule for this season has been set.

Pre-registration and pre-payment is probably going to be something we keep for future events in the Walk The Line series. We have been doing pre-registration anyways, and pre-payment was requested by the field owner, I believe we've worked out the kinks this year that it will go pretty smoothly next year.

As for midcaps, I think the next step is to simply limit the amount of BBS on the field. I think that is a more consistent way of doing things rather than requiring x number of midcaps. For one, it doesn't force people to buy equipment, and two, one midcap is not the same as another, as they can have a wide range of capacities. If we ask players not to bring any ammo on the field, and the team leaders to monitor this, we can control how much ammo is on the field and reduce volume of automatic-fire. We can still encourage midcaps if they have them, but it's not such a big deal if somebody wants to distribute the same number of BBs over fewer high-caps because that's all they own. As a non-profit organization, and outside of field fees hosted at third party fields, we generally don't charge admission to our events, we have to keep cost to players in mind. We want to keep the barrier to entry into the sport relatively open and allow players to purchase things piece-meal as they find a need or funds for them, as opposed to asking somebody who's never played and wants to try to spend a thousand dollars on specific gear for that event. These numbers are arbitrary of course, but you get the point.

In regards to BBs, we really need feedback from players if we are going to do something like this. Would players be ok with maybe a $5 higher field fee at the next event, have all BBs provided (except for the sniper teams, they will be allowed to use their own on their bolt action sniper rifles, provided they meet chrono regs). The bbs would all be one common weight (perhaps .25g), of a high quality brand seamless polished 5.95 +/- .01 BBs. Is this something that the player-base would want? We can get them wholesale and inject the amount of BBs purchased from this additional $5 per player funding into the game, and add any leftover BB containers to the raffle at the end of the day. Each player would start with 500 BBs initially, (2500 for support/LMG), guaranteed one ammo-supply after lunch, and we would ramp up time-sensitive objectives from the CIA to continually earn more bbs throughout the game. Per player average, you're looking at minimum 1500 BBs throughout the day, and as high as 7500 or more for support for your $5. It will be up to the COs how BBs are distributed from CIA objectives, we would just hand him one or two large 5,000 count containers at a time. But I hope I've justified the $5 additional fee to the field for providing the BBs for the game and eased people's concerns about paying $5 extra at the next one, if we go this route. You would essentially get that money back in BBs in the game.
Sabin
US Navy Veteran

EWA | Webmaster / Admin
Team PRISM | C.O.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds

Follow Us
FacebookYoutube

EWA is a non-profit organization
© 2009 - 2017 Eastern Washington Airsoft
All Rights Reserved