Username Password: Remember me

New Age - Old Dude
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New Age - Old Dude

New Age - Old Dude 2 years, 9 months ago #1

• EL DUD
  • Private
Hello EWA!

This is Rich Wohrle from the old days of airsoft. For those who don't remember the Phanerozoic eon of airsoft in the early 2000's, that's where I started. Wade Moss and the Spokane Devil Dawgs helped me transition from paintball to airsoft where I was conducting events and mostly Future Leader exercises with EWU ROTC. In fact, I was holding a paintball Future Leader on the southern half of Camp Comia while Wade was conducting an airsoft event on the northen half the first time we met up. I was sold on airsoft from that point on. Wade and I began conducting events at Comia and eventually at Nitehawk and Dragon Wars.

Between hosting monthly events, doing some playing, admining, conducting both Future Soldier and Future Leader exercises over a ten year period I finally transitioned into a more behind the scene role in mid 2012. At the encouragement of many airsoft community members over the years since then, I've decided to take a more active role. So getting here is a great way to say hi and join in on the fun.

And I'm still connected to Camp Comia. And I just recently chatted with Rande and he's all in for having airsoft at the Camp. Yes there are "items" laying around, but the clutter has been tremendously cleared up. And through Army Dave's contact I've been able to secure the Military Vehicle Club to come out and operate on the property since it' only 14 miles from downtown Spokane and has over four miles of road networks. The gym is clear for any weather use - warm in winter and cool in summer, dry in rain & snow. Plus there's electricity to charge batteries, bathrooms, refrigerator for sack lunch & beverages, microwave, stove and oven, fresh water to fill hydro packs. And of course there's the infamous CQB building - bad as ever. NOt to mention all the other buildings and some 50 acres to play in and around.

I look forward to coming out and playing. I was going to form a geriatric team but so few of us wanted to leave the bingo game before meatloaf Saturday lunch at the home So much for hard core.

Rich

Re: New Age - Old Dude 2 years, 9 months ago #2

• Napster
  • PRISM C.O. / Webmaster / Admin
  • Have Fun! It's mandatory.
It's been a long time Rich. I'm curious about what's changed at Comia in the last 10 years, I have some fond memories of when I was playing with the Knights of Odin there =).
Sabin
US Navy Veteran

EWA | Webmaster / Admin
Team PRISM | C.O.
-Everyone's favorite computer nerd-

Re: New Age - Old Dude 2 years, 9 months ago #3

• toobladink
  • Spokane Scrubsofters C.O.
  • Enjoy the journey - SG34
This field kinda interests me.. I've never heard of it.

It's nice to see older members connecting with us again!
ASTQA certified tech

Re: New Age - Old Dude 2 years, 9 months ago #4

• EL DUD
  • Private
Hey Sabin - good to connect with you again. Well, changes at Comia are both big and subtle. The Depot is cleaned up, the apron in front of Cadet Hall is clear, the New Dorm is coming on line, the parking lot expanded east and Rande is deciding to put the classroom there or just parking, the East Field is slightly more cluttered along the west perimeter but those cars and piles were in play anyway, the road in the West Field allows cross transport and even access to Murphy Road, Cinder Block City is accessible from the northeast..... and the list goes on.

We're planning on doing some innovative airsoft features this year like FAST roping, zip lining, vehicles, UAV's, use of Sapper's, use of sonic grenades (and plenty of them), and rapid turn-around of games. So there'll be all sorts of fun and specific roles to find it in.

And Army Dave is given the nod to sponsoring events - so there'll be all sorts of cool airsoft items too!!!!

Looking forward to catching up with everyone and seeing old and new faces in the airsoft community.

Re: New Age - Old Dude 2 years, 9 months ago #5

• EL DUD
  • Private
Hey toobladink, good to connect with you too. I started with paintball way back in the early 90's when paint was $200 a case and came only in white. I ended in early 2000's when it was $28.50 a case and any color. Airsoft was just more viable as a tactical and realistic feel for the National Guard and ROTC whom I was assisting with training. So I switched at that time thanks to Wade Moss.

The events at Comia have been epic. I'll post up some pics. We've had everything from night games to mini-missions to immersion events. And this year will be fun and adventurous as well.

Hope to see you at a game soon.

Re: New Age - Old Dude 2 years, 9 months ago #6

• toobladink
  • Spokane Scrubsofters C.O.
  • Enjoy the journey - SG34
How could I keep up with events at camp comia? This is the first time I've even heard the name

Like is there a facebook group, forum site, etc?
ASTQA certified tech
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds

Follow Us
FacebookYoutube

EWA is a non-profit organization
© 2009 - 2017 Eastern Washington Airsoft
All Rights Reserved